Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural (SMSC)
At Fairfield Road Primary School, we recognise that the personal development of pupils, spiritually, morally, socially and culturally plays a significant part in their ability to learn and achieve. We therefore aim to provide an education that provides children with opportunities to explore and develop their own values and beliefs, spiritual awareness, high standards of personal behaviour, a positive caring attitude towards other people, an understanding of their social and cultural traditions and an appreciation of the diversity and richness of other cultures. This is embedded throughout all aspects of school life.
- Spiritual development is the development of the elements of pupils that animates and sustains us. It is about the development of a sense of identity, belonging, self-worth, meaning and purpose and the ability to reflect.
- Moral development is about the creation, largely by pupils, of a framework of values which regulates pupils’ behaviour, and about pupils’ understanding of society’s shared and agreed values. It is about acquiring an understanding of right and wrong, and being able to apply this understanding within and outside school. Moral development also includes pupils’ appreciation that different people hold different views on subjects, and being able to articulate their own opinions.
- Social development is the development of pupils’ ability to work effectively with each other in a school context, and participate constructively in the wider community. It concerns the acquisition of the skills and qualities necessary to live and work together. It includes developing an understanding of society’s institutions and pupils’ roles as citizens of the UK and the world.
- Cultural development is the development of pupils’ understanding and appreciation of their own and others’ cultures. It includes being able to live in a rapidly changing global culture, increasingly influenced by developments in travel, technological and communication, and being able to cope with the impact of such changes.
The aims of an SMSC education are:
- to ensure pupils’ education at Fairfield Road Primary School is holistic rather than focussed narrowly on purely academic aspects of learning.
- to provide pupils with a rounded education, including learning how to work and play together, understanding and respecting others’ points of view, respecting and applying rules and understanding why these exist.
- to prepare pupils to contribute to society and culture throughout their lives, and enable them to participate actively and positively in the life of the school, their local community and wider society.
- to encourage pupils to value themselves and their unique contributions to their own and others’ lives, and in turn to value and celebrate others and their qualities and abilities.