Universal and Free School Meals
All children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 are offered a free school meal funded by the Government through a programme called Universal Infant Free School Meals.
Older children may also be eligible for a free school meal if their family is in receipt of certain benefits.
You no longer need to contact the Local Authority to apply for Free School meals, just click on the link below to see if you are eligible.
Do you qualify?
Free school meals are available to pupils in receipt of, or whose parents are in receipt of, one or more of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods)
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 • The guarantee element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
How to claim ?
Checking whether you qualify and registering is really quick and easy – do it online by clicking the link then New Application - start https://www.cloudforedu.org.uk/ofsm/sims-tameside
If you want your child to have a free, healthy meal at lunchtime that’s great – they will get the free meal (saving you more than £350 a year) and the school gets extra money to help your child.
If you don’t want your child to have a free school meal they can continue as normal – as long as you qualify, and are registered, the school still gets the extra money.
You only need to complete this form once and it will last for the duration of your child’s time at their current school.
If you have any queries or need some more information, please do not hesitate to contact the school office.